Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
I grew up in New York City and I’ll tell you right now, January on the east coast-not so much fun. That’s when you look to food for warmth and comfort, especially after coming inside after walking three dogs when it’s 16 degrees outside! Our Corn Chili Bake certainly fills that bill-it’s a cold-weather crowd pleaser.
With this recipe, the term “healthy fast food” is no longer an oxymoron. Loaded with fiber and protein, it also contains healthy compounds called phenols from the black olives, blood pressure-lowering garlic, and cancer-fighting antioxidants, such as lycopene from the tomatoes. Best of all, because you make it yourself, you get to choose the protein source-lean, clean turkey (instead of mystery meat).
Notes from Chef Jeannette: To freeze half (4 servings), divide the recipe into two 7-8-inch Pyrex baking dishes. Cook one as directed for dinner and cool the other for two hours to overnight in the fridge. Remove any condensation and place a layer of freezer-safe plastic over the surface of the casserole, sealing it tightly against the sides to prevent air contact. Seal the cover over all, and store in the freezer. When you’re ready for round two, thaw frozen dish overnight in the fridge and bake, uncovered, as directed.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray 9×13-inch baking dish with olive oil cooking spray, and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet or sauté pan over medium high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 4 minutes, or until onion and pepper just begin to soften. Add garlic, turkey, and salt, and sauté 6-7 minutes, or until no pink remains on turkey.
- Drain meat, if necessary, and add beans, tomatoes, olives, corn, chili powder, cumin, chili pepper, and corn meal, and stir gently to mix well. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over top, and bake uncovered 40 minutes, or until heated through.
- Calories 286
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 41 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 914 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g