For a vegan alternative, swap full-fat coconut milk for the heavy cream.
For more about this recipe: 4 Natural Sugar Substitutes to Try in Holiday Baking
- 3 large, very ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- 2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4– 1/2 tsp. monk fruit extract or stevia extract, or to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or 1 can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- Monk fruit extract or stevia extract to taste
- 2 Tbs. very finely minced fresh mint leaves or 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- Scoop flesh out of avocado skins into food processor. Add cocoa powder, cream or coconut milk, peppermint extract, and salt. Purée until smooth and creamy. Add monk fruit or stevia extract, and purée again to combine. Taste, and adjust sweetener and mint extract, if desired. Divide mousse among four parfait glasses or small dessert bowls. Chill 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- While mousse is chilling, using a standing mixer or a hand mixer, whip heavy cream on medium-high speed until peaks form, 3–4 minutes. (If using coconut milk, open chilled can of coconut milk, and scoop hardened cream from the top; reserve remaining coconut milk for another use.) Sweeten to taste with monk fruit or stevia extract. Gently stir in minced fresh mint leaves or peppermint extract.
- Remove chilled mousse from refrigerator and top each serving dish with whipped cream; serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 520
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 85 mg
- Fat Content: 51 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 21 g
- Sodium Content: 105 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g