These cool, zesty lemon bars are sweetened with xylitol, which works well with citrus and is an easy 1-to-1 swap for sugar. If you’re concerned about digestive issues, use erythritol, or swap ¼ tsp. monk fruit or stevia for the ¼ cup of xylitol in the crust to lessen the impact. For a coconut-free variation, substitute almond flour for coconut flour in the filling, and swap coconut flakes with powdered erythritol sprinkled on top of the bars after baking.
For more about this recipe: 4 Natural Sugar Substitutes to Try in Holiday Baking
- Makes 16 barsServings
- 3 large lemons
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup xylitol or erythritol, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8x8 glass baking dish with two sheets parchment paper, crisscrossing parchment to line bottom and both sides, and allowing edges to overhang by 1/2 inch. Zest and juice lemons, and set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, 1/4 cup of xylitol or erythritol, and salt. Stir in melted butter and 2 Tbs. lemon zest, mixing until well combined. Press crust along bottom of prepared baking dish.
- In standing mixer or a medium bowl using hand mixer, beat remaining xylitol and softened butter until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add lemon juice, remaining lemon zest, and coconut flour, and beat until smooth.
- Pour filling into crust and spread evenly, smoothing top. Bake 25 minutes. Sprinkle tops of bars with coconut, and bake 5–10 minutes more, until filling is set and coconut is lightly toasted. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Refrigerate 1–2 hours, until chilled.
- Using parchment overhang, lift bars from pan and place on flat surface. Cut into 16 bars, and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 190
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 90 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 160 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g