This rich, silky soup is made with a base of puréed potatoes and cauliflower instead of cream, which creates the same hearty texture with much less fat and lots of fiber and nutrients. We added cream as an option, for extra richness. When you’re roasting the shiitakes, be sure not to crowd them to prevent steaming and ensure the mushrooms get extra crispy—use two pans if necessary. To make sure you’re getting vitamin D from your mushrooms, look for those labeled “UV-treated” or “high in vitamin D.”
For more about this recipe: 7 Foods Rich in Vitamin D
- 2 cups shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. melted coconut oil
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. cremini or portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley or minced chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss shiitake mushrooms with coconut oil and spread in single layer on large baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, and roast 20 minutes, stirring once or twice during cooking, until mushrooms are crispy. Remove from oven and let cool briefly.
- While shiitakes are roasting, combine cauliflower, potatoes, onion, garlic, thyme, and broth in medium pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 12–15 minutes, or until cauliflower and potatoes are tender.
- While soup cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add cremini or portobello mushrooms, and cook 5–7 minutes, until tender, stirring frequently.
- Remove thyme sprigs from cauliflower and potato mixture and discard. Transfer mixture to a high-powered blender or food processor, and purée until very smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Return cauliflower-potato mixture to pot, and add cremini or portobello mushrooms. Stir in cream, if using, and simmer 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide soup among individual bowls. Top each bowl with crispy shiitakes and parsley or chives, and serve immediately.
- Calories: 250
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 510 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g