Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Recipe excerpted from The Functional Foodie: 50 Powerhouse Ingredients Go Gourmet, by Ayn Nix and Andi Phillips. Reprinted with permission from Basic Health Publications, Inc., Laguna Beach, Calif.
1. Heat oil in large skillet over low heat. Add onion, garlic, and asparagus, and cook about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until vegetables are very soft and just starting to take on color.
2. Add Chardonnay and soy sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until liquid has been reduced to one-quarter of original volume.
3. Transfer vegetable mixture to blender in batches; blend until liquefied (you might need to add some broth to loosen vegetables enough to liquefy). Press liquefied vegetables through fine mesh sieve over stockpot; discard remains.
4. Add chicken stock to stockpot, and bring soup to a simmer. Add potato flakes, and whisk until completely incorporated. Stir in evaporated milk. Heat, and serve.
- Calories 289
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 20 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 457 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g