Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Cauliflower is everywhere these days — it’s in pizza crust, it mimics BBQ “wings” and it can take place of rice. From a nutritional perspective, it makes total sense. Cauliflower is packed with immune-supporting vitamin C, it’s rich in fiber, aiding digestive health, and it contains compounds known to reduce inflammation. This white veg is also rich in antioxidants.
Even better? When the temps drop, this soup satisfies that craving for warm, comforting meals. Roasting the cauliflower in this creamy cauliflower soup gives it a deep, caramelized flavor, and the tahini makes it velvety-rich, smooth, and oh-so-delicious.
- Prepare topping: Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a medium or large baking sheet with parchment paper. On baking sheet, toss small cauliflower florets with coconut oil then spread in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast until tender and crispy, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare soup: In a large pot on medium, heat olive oil. Add onion and sauté until softened and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, sumac (if using), paprika and cayenne and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add medium cauliflower florets, potato, broth and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, until potatoes and cauliflower are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in tahini and lemon juice and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Using an immersion blender, purée soup. Season with additional salt as needed. Divide soup among bowls, then top with dill and crispy cauliflower topping.
- Serving Size 1/8 of soup
- Calories 141
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 401 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g