Creamy Mashed Cauliflower & Potatoes Is The Ultimate Side Dish
This mashed cauliflower dish is heaven in a bowl. Cauliflower and potatoes combine with coconut milk to create a rich and creamy gluten- and dairy-free side for the holidays. And the nutritional yeast adds a significant boost of B vitamins.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Reprinted with permission from The Edible Beat: 60 Recipes of Chef Empowerment, Humor & Human Centric Mojo by Chef Justin Cucci.
Related: Garlicky Mashed “Potatoes”
- 5 lb. cauliflower
- 2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup frozen coconut meat (you can substitute 1 cup of canned coconut cream)
- 2 15-oz. cans coconut milk
- 1/3 cup organic grade B maple syrup
- 3 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp Korean red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs. kosher salt
- Peel potatoes and cut into quarters. Cut cauliflower off of the stem into florets.
- Steam cauliflower, potatoes, and coconut meat until tender (if using coconut cream, add in next step), about 20 minutes. Drain.
- In a separate pot, combine coconut milk (and coconut cream is using) and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Use a potato ricer to rice potato, cauliflower, and coconut meat into a large mixing bowl.
- Add reduced coconut milk mixture and remaining ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning until it’s delicious.
Garnish Suggestions (Use Any or All)
- ½ cup toasted pecans
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped dill
- ½ cup crispy shallots