The trick to keeping sprouts crispy: give them plenty of room on the pan. Overlapping causes them to steam, not crisp, and will yield soggy sprouts. This dish is easy to do as a meat-free side; just swap in vegan bacon substitute.
For more about this recipe: Keto Thanksgiving
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Fry bacon in large skillet 3–5 minutes, until crispy. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add olive oil to skillet, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Trim ends from Brussels sprouts, and thinly slice crosswise, about 1/4-inch thick. Add Brussels sprouts to skillet, and toss to mix with bacon fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Transfer Brussels sprouts to two large sheet trays. (Don’t let sprouts overlap, or they won’t crisp.) Roast 10 minutes, rotate pans, and continue roasting 7 minutes more, or until sprouts are crispy.
- While sprouts are roasting, return skillet to stove, add hazelnuts, and toast over medium heat, tossing frequently, until hazelnuts are lightly browned. Remove from skillet, and let cool.
- To serve, transfer cooked sprouts to a large platter or shallow bowl. Crumble bacon over top, add hazelnuts, and toss to mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Sodium Content: 150 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g