Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These easy roasted brussels sprouts are a little bit crispy on the outside with bacon flavor infused throughout. Sprinkle in toasted hazelnuts and you have a side dish that is totally crave-worthy!
The trick to keeping sprouts crispy: give them plenty of room on the pan and roast them in high heat.
You can also easily make this as a meat-free side; just swap in vegan bacon substitute.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Fry bacon in large skillet 3–5 minutes, until crispy. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add olive oil to skillet, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Trim ends from Brussels sprouts, and thinly slice crosswise, about ¼-inch thick. Add Brussels sprouts to skillet, and toss to mix with bacon fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Transfer Brussels sprouts to two large sheet trays. (Don’t let sprouts overlap, or they won’t crisp.) Roast 10 minutes, rotate pans, and continue roasting 7 minutes more, or until sprouts are crispy.
- While sprouts are roasting, return skillet to stove, add hazelnuts, and toast over medium heat, tossing frequently, until hazelnuts are lightly browned. Remove from skillet, and let cool.
- To serve, transfer cooked sprouts to a large platter or shallow bowl. Crumble bacon over top, add hazelnuts, and toss to mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Here are more Brussels sprouts recipes to try:
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 150 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g