Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
This simple, pretty recipe roasts just the leaves of Brussels sprouts for a crispy, delicious Thanksgiving side. It’s topped with pre-made sweet and spicy hemp hearts for extra flavor and nutrition. Removing leaves takes a bit of time but it’s worth it; or you can use small Brussels sprouts, quartered. Otherwise, prep the leaves the night before cooking, then roast immediately before serving—they’re best hot, right out of the oven.
For more about this recipe: Superfood Thanksgiving
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut stem from one Brussels sprout, and remove loose leaves. Transfer to large bowl. Continue cutting stem and peeling off leaves until you get to small center core. Repeat with remaining Brussels sprouts. (Reserve center cores for roasting or shredding for salads.)
- Drizzle leaves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Mix with your hands, and spread leaves evenly onto two large rimmed baking sheets. Roast until leaves are crispy and golden, 10–12 minutes, stirring several times during cooking to prevent leaves at edges of pan from burning.
- Remove from oven. Transfer to serving platter, and sprinkle with hemp hearts. Toss gently to mix, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
- Calories 140
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 80 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g