For more about this recipe: 4 Summer Camping Recipes
Food photography by Pornchai Mittongtare, food styling by Claire Stancer, prop styling by Robin Turk
- Combine sugar, baking powder, black pepper, and salt in small bowl. Rinse chicken, and pat dry with paper towels. Loosen skin on breasts, thighs, and drumsticks, but do not remove. Pierce wings with a paring knife or fork.
- Place chicken, skin-side up, on rack set in a baking sheet. Sprinkle sugar mixture on skin of larger pieces of chicken first, and finish with wings. Chill, uncovered, until skin looks dry and flesh is pink, 16–20 hours.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to high and keeping other side unlit to maintain temperature of 425–450°F. Brush grill grate with oil.
- Mix garlic, mustard, paprika, apple pie spice, and cayenne in bowl. Rub spice mixture onto chicken, and coat with nonstick spray.
- Grill chicken indirectly, covered, skin-side down, until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes. Flip pieces skin-side up, placing thickest parts toward lit section of grill. Roast chicken, covered, until skin begins to brown, 20 minutes. Move chicken as needed toward lit section of grill if skin seems underexposed to heat, and grill 15–20 minutes more. Chicken is done when thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast registers 165°F, and into the thigh or drumstick registers 170°F.
- Calories 510
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 170 mg
- Fat Content 35 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 43 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 280 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g