Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Massaging kale with sunflower butter before roasting makes a crunchy, savory coating and adds lots of nutrition. We added nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. For more spice, sprinkle cayenne pepper or a few shakes of crushed red pepper before roasting. Be sure to spread kale leaves in a single layer so they get extra-crispy; use a third baking sheet and roast in batches, if needed.
- For more about this recipe see 5 Foods to Boost Your Eye Health.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Strip leaves from kale, tear into bite-sized pieces, and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine sunflower butter, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, garlic, pepper, and salt. Stir to mix well. Add kale leaves, and massage mixture into leaves with your hands.
- Spread kale in single layer on baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes, rotate pans, and bake 10–15 minutes more, until kale is crispy and golden. Remove from oven, let cool,
- Calories 240
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 280 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g