For more about this recipe: Low Glycemic Spiced Granola with Coconut Oil
1½ cups whole rolled oats
2 cups roughly chopped unsalted mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, and/or pecans)
¾ cup unsalted mixed seeds (sunflower seeds, pepitas, hemp seeds, and/or sesame seeds)
1/3 cup coconut oil, just-melted
¼ cup 100% pure maple syrup (or liquid inulin for no sugar)
2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. sea salt
Zest of 1 large navel orange
½ cup flaked coconut
½ cup chopped unsulphured and unsweetened mixed dried fruit (tart cherries, cranberries, blueberries, mango), optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line large jelly roll pan with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Combine ingredients from oats through seeds in large mixing bowl. In smaller bowl, whisk together liquid ingredients and spices from coconut oil through sea salt until well blended. Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients, and mix well with wooden spoon until thoroughly coated.
- Carefully transfer mixture to prepared sheet, and spread in even layer. Bake 15–20 minutes, until golden brown, stirring gently every 5 minutes and watching carefully to prevent scorching.
- Remove, and allow to cool about 10 minutes. Break up, and stir in zest, coconut, and dried fruit, if using, while still warm. Let cool completely, and store in airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
- Calories: 410
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 31 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Sodium Content: 100 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g