Paleo Egg-Free Chocolate Pie Recipe
This rich, creamy, and decadent chocolate pie is a great dish to bring to a dinner party. It looks impressive, yet the filling is very easy to make and the nutty crust is one of the best parts of the whole dish!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Recipes reprinted with permission from 1,001 Paleo Recipes by Arsy Vartanian, Rachel Ball, Jenny Castaneda, Hannah Healy, Katja Heino, Nazanin Kovács, Rachel McClelland, Vivica Menegaz, Caroline Potter, Kelly Winters, and Amanda Torres, Page Street Publishing Co. 2021.
Paleo Egg-Free Chocolate Pie
Egg-free chocolate pie
- 2 13.5-oz. cans coconut cream
- 1⁄4 cup raw honey, or coconut nectar for a vegan alternative
- 2/3 cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Egg-Free, Grain-Free Pie Crust (recipe below), cooled
- Shaved dark chocolate, for garnish
Egg-free, grain-free pie crust
- 6 Tbs. ground flaxseeds
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1⁄4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup coconut sugar
- 1⁄2 cup softened coconut oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, mix ground flaxseeds and 6 Tbs. warm water. Allow to sit until seeds jell.
- Mix dry ingredients together in food processor or mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients, including flax mixture, and mix well. (The result should be a thick crumbly dough-like consistency.)
- Grease 8- or 9-inch pie dish with coconut oil. Crumble dough evenly over pie dish, and press so it forms the pie dish shape. Puncture crust a few times with fork to avoid bubbling, and bake about 5 minutes to pre-cook.
- Scoop coconut cream from cans into large mixing bowl—you can reserve a small portion (about 2 Tbs.) to top the pie like whipped cream if you want.
- Whisk coconut cream until lumps are broken up and it achieves a fluffy, whipped cream consistency. Add honey, cacao powder, sea salt, and vanilla, and gently whisk until fully blended with no lumps.
- Spread filling evenly in pie crust. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow to set.
- To serve, place a small amount of whipped coconut cream on top for garnish, if desired, and sprinkle with shaved dark chocolate.
Related Article: Your Paleo Primer
- Calories 850
- Carbohydrate Content 105 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 46 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 33 g
- Sodium Content 450 mg
- Sugar Content 86 g