Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Recipes reprinted with permission from 1,001 Paleo Recipes by Arsy Vartanian, Rachel Ball, Jenny Castaneda, Hannah Healy, Katja Heino, Nazanin Kovács, Rachel McClelland, Vivica Menegaz, Caroline Potter, Kelly Winters, and Amanda Torres, Page Street Publishing Co. 2021.
Paleo Egg-Free Chocolate Pie
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, mix ground flaxseeds and 6 Tbs. warm water. Allow to sit until seeds jell.
- Mix dry ingredients together in food processor or mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients, including flax mixture, and mix well. (The result should be a thick crumbly dough-like consistency.)
- Grease 8- or 9-inch pie dish with coconut oil. Crumble dough evenly over pie dish, and press so it forms the pie dish shape. Puncture crust a few times with fork to avoid bubbling, and bake about 5 minutes to pre-cook.
- Scoop coconut cream from cans into large mixing bowl—you can reserve a small portion (about 2 Tbs.) to top the pie like whipped cream if you want.
- Whisk coconut cream until lumps are broken up and it achieves a fluffy, whipped cream consistency. Add honey, cacao powder, sea salt, and vanilla, and gently whisk until fully blended with no lumps.
- Spread filling evenly in pie crust. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow to set.
- To serve, place a small amount of whipped coconut cream on top for garnish, if desired, and sprinkle with shaved dark chocolate.
Related Article: Your Paleo Primer
- Calories 850
- Carbohydrate Content 105 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 46 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 33 g
- Sodium Content 450 mg
- Sugar Content 86 g