Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
As a side or main dish, this salad brings out the best of summer’s bounty. The tahini dressing is pure Mediterranean goodness that can be used as a dressing or dip for your next get-together.
When shopping for eggplant, look for shiny, smooth skin that gives just a little when you press it gently with your thumb. The stem should be green. Above all, smaller is better because the skin will be less bitter. Store in the refrigerator and eat within a week.
- Blend all dressing ingredients in food process or blender. Taste, adjust salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Oil grill grates to prevent vegetables from sticking. Preheat grill to 375°F. Cut tops off eggplant, zucchini, and squash, and cut each down the middle lengthwise. Score flesh in crisscross pattern. Salt well, and set aside 10–15 minutes to draw out water.
- Brush off salt, and dab dry with a paper towel. Brush generously with extra-virgin olive oil. Season with dried oregano and a light sprinkle of pepper.
- Place vegetables on grill, flesh down. Grill 10–15 minutes, until well browned. Remove from grill, and cut into 1-inch thick pieces.
- Wash, dry, and tear salad leaves into bite-sized pieces. Place in large, shallow salad bowl. Top lettuce with grilled vegetables, dates, almonds, tomatoes, and cheese. Serve with tahini dressing.
- Calories 260
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 140 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g