Eggplant Steak With Caprese Salsa
Eggplants can be long and skinny or short and fat. Choose one that falls somewhere in between so it will make four steaks of similar size.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For more about this recipe: 4 Summer Camping Recipes
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup plus 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil (divided use)
2 tsp. minced garlic
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 large eggplant (1–11/2 lb.)
2 cups seeded and diced fresh tomatoes
1 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese (4 oz.)
2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh basil
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Whisk together 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in bowl. Cut eggplant lengthwiseinto four 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick slices.
- Place eggplant slices in a large glass dish. Pour vinegar mixture over eggplant, turning to coat slices; let eggplant sit 5 minutes.
- Combine tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, vinegar, 2 tsp. oil, salt, and pepper in medium bowl, and set aside.
- Grill eggplant slices, covered, over direct heat until tender, 2–3 minutes per side. Remove eggplant from grill, and serve with salsa.
- Calories 310
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 20 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 230 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g