Fabulous Apple “Flaxjacks”
Spice up your breakfast with this take on traditional pancakes fortified with flaxseeds.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 jumbo egg
- 2 Tbs. ground flaxseed, such as Barlean’s Forti-Flax
- 1 small apple, unpeeled, cored, and shredded
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger and/or cinnamon
- 2 tsp. dry sweetener (such as palm sugar or erythritol), or a few drops NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia, optional
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- Whisk egg to lightly beat in small bowl. Add flaxseed, apple, spices, and sweetener, if using, and mix well.
- Melt coconut oil in skillet over medium heat, swirling pan to evenly coat bottom.
- Transfer batter to skillet in three sections, using spoon to shape into three approximately 3-inch flapjacks. Cook, undisturbed, 2–3 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly browned. Flip flapjacks with large spatula, and cook 1–3 minutes more, until bottoms are lightly browned. Serve immediately.
- Calories 299
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 208 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 84 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g