Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter or ghee in large frying pan, add onion and garlic, and sauté on medium-high heat until onion softens, about 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and chile, and cook until soft and brown, about 5 minutes. Add turmeric, cumin, half of salt, and half of pepper. Turn off heat, and allow veggies to cool to around room temperature. (You can refrigerate them to speed up the process if necessary.)
- In large bowl, mix together beef, eggs, tamari, walnuts, raisins, tomato paste, and remaining salt and pepper. Add cooked vegetables and herbs, and blend well. Transfer mixture to a greased loaf pan or casserole dish, and bake 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold topped with chili or tomato sauce
Recipe excerpted from The Great Cholesterol Myth Cookbook by Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS, Stephen T. Sinatra, MD, FACC, and Deirdre Rawlings, ND, PhD.
- Calories 520
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 180 mg
- Fat Content 33 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 11 g
- Sodium Content 1030 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g