Ginger Peach Parfaits
This delicious parfait combines the nutrient boost of peaches with the healing properties of ginger to create a healthy-and-refreshing summer treat.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
In addition to the health benefits of peaches, this cooling summer treat features ginger, one of nature’s true workhorse herbs. You probably already know about ginger’s reputation for soothing upset stomachs and nausea, and it’s also an effective digestive aid. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Research shows that gingerol, the active compound in ginger, is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. In one study of 247 people with osteoarthritis of the knee, those taking ginger extract experienced less pain overall and required less pain medication. This powerful herb can also lower blood sugar. A 2015 study found that diabetics taking 2 grams of ginger powder daily lowered their fasting blood sugar by 12 percent over the course of three months.
Of course, when it comes to recipes, health benefits won’t cut it without the flavor, and this Ginger Peach Parfait truly delivers on that front as well, thanks to peak-season, refreshing peaches. Just whip up a batch on a hot summer afternoon and you’ll see what we mean.
Ginger Peach Parfait recipe
- 4 large ripe peaches, peeled and pitted, chopped
- 4 4-oz. containers vanilla soy yogurt
- 1 Tbs. minced candied ginger
- 6 organic ginger snap cookies, crushed
- In small bowl, whisk together soy yogurt and candied ginger.
- Take four tall clear parfait glasses. Divide half of yogurt mix among them, then divide half of chopped peaches on top. Sprinkle with half the crushed ginger snaps. Repeat, ending with crushed ginger snaps on top. Chill at least an hour before serving.
- Calories 159
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content <1 g
- Sodium Content 35 mg
- Sugar Content 24 g