Gluten-Free Fried Chicken
Enjoy a summertime classic without breaking your diet—or harming your health—with this delicious gluten-free fried chicken recipe.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A crisp crust makes oven-roasted chicken taste fried. Leaving the bone in creates more authentic, pan-fried chicken flavor. Try Mary’s Gone Crackers for the “breading.”
Gluten-Free Crispy Oven-Fried Chipotle Chicken Recipe
- 3 cups plain yogurt
- 2 medium chipotle chiles, seeded and chopped
- 6 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 5 chicken thighs and 5 chicken drumsticks, skinned, or 8 small chicken breasts
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 cups gluten-free crackers
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbs. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Combine yogurt and chipotles in a food processor, and purée until smooth. Add garlic, and pulse until well blended. Pour into large bowl, and set aside.
- Add chicken to yogurt-chipotle mixture, turn to coat pieces well, cover, and marinate in refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat large, shallow baking pan with olive oil, and set aside.
- Add crackers to food processor, and pulse until coarsely ground. Add oregano, thyme, chipotle powder, salt, and pepper. Pulse to blend well. Pour onto large platter or shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess. Dredge each piece of chicken in cracker mixture to coat well. Place chicken on large baking sheet, and bake 40 to 55 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown. (If crust is browned before chicken is cooked, cover baking sheet with foil, and continue baking until chicken is done.) Remove from oven, and serve hot.
- Calories 252
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 60 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 390 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g