Grain-Free, Dairy-Free “Pumpkin” Pie
In addition to being absolutely delicious, this pumpkin pie is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free. Lot’s of “free” – but you’d never know it by tasting it.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For more Healthy and Hearty Nutrient Dense Recipes
- 11/2 cup almond flour
- 11/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar plus 3 Tbs.
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 5 Tbs. cold, almost-frozen butter or
- 1 medium egg
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 cup butternut squash purée, or thawed frozen butternut squash cubes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground clove
- In food processor, combine almond flour, tapioca flour, 3 Tbs. coconut sugar, and salt. Pulse to combine. Cut butter or shortening into chunks, add to mixture, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to bowl, add medium egg, and mix thoroughly until egg is combined, then knead with hands until mixture is pliable (but don’t overmix). If crust cracks or is dry, add 1 Tbs. very cold water. Roll into ball, cover, and refrigerate 1 hour before rolling out (crust can be made in advance and refrigerated up to 3 days).
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place dough in center of sheet of parchment, and place another sheet on top. Starting from center, roll into a disk about ¼-1/8 inch thick. Be careful not to roll too thin.
- Remove top sheet of parchment. Place glass pie dish upside down over crust. Flip parchment and pie dish over. Remove parchment, and fit the crust into dish. Trim excess crust from sides and reserve. Flute edges with thumb and forefinger, and prick bottom of crust with fork. Roll out remaining crust, and cut into decorative shapes with a knife or cookie cutter. Bake crust and pastry shapes 8-10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, combine pumpkin and/or squash, coconut milk, remaining 1/2 cup coconut sugar, large eggs, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove in food processor. Process until well blended and creamy.
- Remove crust from oven, and fill with pumpkin mixture. Return to oven, and bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and continue baking 35 minutes. If crust begins to brown before filling is done, carefully cover crust with foil. About 10 minutes before pie is done, arrange pastry shapes over top of pie.
- When pie is baked through and filling is set, remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm, with whipped cream or whipped coconut milk.
- Calories 380
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 110 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 280 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g