This nutrient-packed stuffing skips the bread and does double-duty as a roasted root vegetable dish. We used high-fiber white roots—Hanna sweet potatoes, parsnips, and turnips—for a more traditional look, but sweet potatoes or rutabagas work just as well. Baru seeds, a nutrient-dense legume from Brazil, add a sturdy crunch that stands up to cooking; if you can’t find them, swap hazelnuts. Pre-cooked, ready-to-eat jackfruit stands in for sausage, to add a meaty flavor with extra fiber and nutrition, and no saturated fat. For faster day-of prep, pre-cook everything the night before, then heat through before serving; add two eggs and 1/2 cup almond meal for a denser, creamier stuffing.
For more about this recipe: Superfood Thanksgiving
- 2 medium Hanna sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 medium parsnips, diced
- 2 small turnips, diced
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups chopped shiitake mushroom caps
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (2.65-oz.) packages Upton’s Naturals Jackfruit, chopped small
- 1/2 cup Natural Traditions Roasted Baru seeds, chopped small
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbs. dried sage
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss sweet potatoes, parsnips, and turnips with 2 Tbs. olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on two rimmed baking sheets, and roast 30 minutes, or until soft.
- During last 10 minutes of vegetables roasting, heat remaining olive oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté onions, celery, mushrooms, and garlic for 5 minutes. Add jackfruit, baru seeds, rosemary, thyme, and sage, cover, and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes longer. (Add a few Tbs. broth, wine, or water, if needed, to prevent sticking.) Keep warm.
Combine roasted root vegetables with sautéed vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 60 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g