To offset the cost of grass-fed meats, substitute less expensive cuts-such as lamb shanks instead of leg of lamb.
Read more about the benefits of grassfed meat in the article A Cut Above.
Adapted from a recipe developed by Melissa’s mother, Helen Smith.
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Cut ½-inch slits in several places on both sides of shanks. Stuff garlic slivers into slits, lengthening or deepening as needed.
- Add olive oil to bottom of a deep, lidded, 12-inch heavy roasting pan, and heat on medium-high heat. Brown all sides of shanks.
- Pour lemon juice over shanks. Sprinkle with oregano, salt, and pepper on both sides, then pour water in between shanks.
- Cover pan, and bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven, remove cover, and flip shanks. Cover pan, and bake 2 hours more, flipping shanks every 30 minutes. Check meat for tenderness: it should easily pull off the bone and have a wonderful aroma. If it doesn’t, return to oven, 15-30 minutes, until done.
- Remove from oven, taste jus, and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. Serve with cooked vegetables and/or brown rice, and spoon jus over both shanks and side dishes.