Three Green Peas and Golden Beets
This vegetable medley is a fresh, light companion to some of the heavier traditional Thanksgiving sides.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
To keep your Thanksgiving day as stress-free as possible, the beets can be prepared a day in advance. The peas cook quickly, and can easily overcook, so prepare this recipe just before serving.
Three Green Peas and Golden Beets Recipe
- 3 medium golden beets, washed
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. sugar snap peas
- 8 oz. snow peas
- 8 oz. fresh or frozen peas
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 2 Tbs. butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place three beets on large piece of foil, and spoon olive oil over top. Wrap tightly so oil will not leak out. Bake 50–60 minutes, until beets are tender. Set aside to cool.
- When cooled, remove beet skin with paper towel, and dice beets. Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat, add butter and melt. Add peas and beets, and cook until just tender, 3–5 minutes. Add almonds, and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
- Calories 180
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 65 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g