Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
This grilled Caesar salad makes a perfect side for any vegan BBQ. Romaine leaves take on a complex, smoky flavor when grilled. Smother them with fresh-tasting vegan “ranch” for a scrumptious dish that stands up to any steakhouse Caesar. Wash and dry romaine leaves before storing in the refrigerator to remove any moisture. For more great vegan recipes, see: Get Your Grill on with These Vegan BBQ Recipes.
Grilled Hearts of Romaine with Creamy Avocado “Ranch” Dressing recipe
- Lightly oil grill racks and preheat grill to medium high. Brush all surfaces of romaine and tomatoes with olive oil.
- Arrange, cut side down, on grill (use a grill grate for tomatoes). Grill tomatoes 4 minutes, romaine 5-6 minutes.
- While lettuce and tomatoes are grilling, combine remaining ingredients in blender and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange lettuce halves and tomatoes on 8 individual plates. Pour dressing over all, and serve immediately.
- Calories 280
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 105 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g