Grilled Hearts of Romaine with Creamy Avocado “Ranch” Dressing
This simple side makes a perfect lite accompaniment to a hearty grilled burger.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This grilled Caesar salad makes a perfect side for any vegan BBQ. Romaine leaves take on a complex, smoky flavor when grilled. Smother them with fresh-tasting vegan “ranch” for a scrumptious dish that stands up to any steakhouse Caesar. Wash and dry romaine leaves before storing in the refrigerator to remove any moisture. For more great vegan recipes, see: Get Your Grill on with These Vegan BBQ Recipes.
Grilled Hearts of Romaine with Creamy Avocado “Ranch” Dressing recipe
- 4 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
- 4 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus additional for brushing
- 3/4 cup cashew butter
- 1 small avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. dried dill weed
- Lightly oil grill racks and preheat grill to medium high. Brush all surfaces of romaine and tomatoes with olive oil.
- Arrange, cut side down, on grill (use a grill grate for tomatoes). Grill tomatoes 4 minutes, romaine 5-6 minutes.
- While lettuce and tomatoes are grilling, combine remaining ingredients in blender and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange lettuce halves and tomatoes on 8 individual plates. Pour dressing over all, and serve immediately.
- Calories 280
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 105 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g