Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
For more Cinco de Mayo recipes: Healthier Cinco de Mayo Menu
Food photography by Pornchai Mittongtare
Food styling by Jeanne Kelley
Prop styling by Robin Turk
Grilled Shrimp with Mango Salsa
If using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes before using, to avoid burning. Or sauté shrimp on the stovetop in a large skillet with a very small amount of oil. Serve on Cilantro-Lime “Rice,” or atop a bed of fresh or lightly wilted spinach or other greens.
- Combine shrimp, olive oil, cumin, and red pepper flakes in large bowl, and stir to mix. Let stand 20-30 minutes, or refrigerate 2-3 hours if time allows.
- In medium bowl, combine mango, Serrano chili, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, and lime. Stir to mix well, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Salsa can be made ahead of time, up to 24 hours in advance.
- Preheat grill to medium and lightly oil racks. Thread shrimp on skewers, and grill 4-5 minutes, turning once, until just cooked through and opaque.
- To serve, arrange shrimp on bed of greens. Top with mango salsa, and serve immediately.
- Calories 170
- Carbohydrate Content 9 g
- Cholesterol Content 145 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 640 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g