Grilled Vegetable & Basil Leaf Salad with Maytag Blue Cheese
Grilled vegetables from your local market make this nutrient-packed salad super simple; no dressing is needed, since vegetables are usually grilled with oil, but if yours are dry, drizzle with additional olive oil. We tossed the vegetables with basil leaves for dramatic appeal; spinach, arugula, endive, or shredded cabbage work equally well. For more protein, add canned chickpeas. A tangy blue cheese crumbled on top adds volumes of flavor, but for a vegan version, skip it and top with walnuts instead.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
See more No Cook Summer Salad Recipes
- 1/4 lb. grilled asparagus
- 1/4 lb. grilled yellow peppers
- 1/4 lb. grilled mushrooms
- 1/4 lb. grilled zucchini
- 1/8 lb. grilled onions
- Olive oil for drizzling, optional
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 4 oz. Maytag or other blue cheese
- Cut asparagus, yellow peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and onions into bite-sized pieces. Combine in large bowl. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, if desired, and toss to mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove stems from basil, and stack 8-10 leaves on flat surface. Roll tightly into small tube. Using sharp knife, slice basil tube crosswise to make very thin shreds, about the thickness of a blade of grass. Repeat with remaining basil.
- Add basil chiffonade to salad, and toss to mix. Divide salad among four individual serving plates. Sprinkle with cheese, and serve immediately.
- Calories 130
- Carbohydrate Content 7 g
- Cholesterol Content 20 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 400 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g