Excerpted with permission from The Low Calorie Cookbook: Healthy, Satisfying Meals with 500 Calories or Less by Megan Olson (Page Street Publishing Co., 2020).
- ½ cup creamy unsalted, sugar-free peanut, sunflower, almond or cashew butter
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
Chicken Pad Thai
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenders
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red cabbage
- 2 cups spiralized sweet potato
- 2 Tbs. coarsely chopped raw cashews
- ¼ Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ Tbs. finely chopped green onions
1. To make sauce: Mix together nut butter, water, honey, lime juice, vinegar, coconut aminos, garlic powder, and ginger in medium bowl.
2. To make pad Thai: Add half of sauce to large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breast tenders, and cook 5 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Transfer chicken and sauce to plate, and set aside.
3. Add oil and egg whites to skillet. Cook egg whites 2–3 minutes, until scrambled, transfer to separate plate, and set aside. Add bell pepper, carrots, cabbage, and sweet potato to skillet. Cook vegetables 5 minutes, then add chicken, remaining sauce, and egg whites. Toss to combine, and cook pad Thai 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are al dente.
4. Serve pad Thai with cashews, cilantro, green onions, and remaining sauce.
5. Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of Recipe
- Calories: 520
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Cholesterol Content: 85 mg
- Fat Content: 25 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 38 g
- Sodium Content: 310 mg
- Sugar Content: 18 g