Be sure to use raw, not roasted, cashew butter, and experiment with different additions: try truffle oil, basil or dill, or skip the spices and line ramekins with finely ground walnuts, then serve with fig jam. Or add turmeric or annatto powder and turn it into a cheddar-like spread.
- Makes 2 cupsServings
- 2 cups raw cashew butter
- 3 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 to 4 Tbs. warm water
- 4 capsules vegan probiotics
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbs. finely minced fresh chives
1. Combine cashew butter, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons water in a food processor; add additional water if needed. Empty probiotic capsules into mixture and puree until smooth and creamy.
2. Transfer mixture to a glass bowl. Cover with cheesecloth or a thin, lint-free kitchen towel. Wrap bowl in a towel and let stand in a warm place (on top of the refrigerator is ideal) for 24 to 72 hours.
3. Transfer cheese to a food processor and add melted coconut oil, nutritional yeast and salt. Puree until creamy. Line two small ramekins with plastic wrap and sprinkle pepper, rosemary and chives over surface of plastic. Pack cheese into ramekins and chill for 6 to 8 hours. Remove from refrigerator and carefully unmold, using overhang of plastic wrap to lift cheese from ramekin. Refrigerate for up to two weeks.