Chewy Cherry-Chia & Pistachio Breakfast Bars
These homemade breakfast bars are so much better than store-bought. They're easy to make, and they're chewy, nutty, and delicious.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These dense, chewy breakfast bars are fortified with protein-rich whey for extended energy on the go. Dried cherries add extra flavor and a powerful dose of antioxidants. We used chia seeds and pistachios for added protein and fiber, plus a healthy dose of immune-boosting omega-3 fats. You can swap out the pistachios for almonds, macadamias, or cashews, or use pumpkin seeds for a nut-free version.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs. chia seeds
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup vanilla-flavored whey protein powder (We used Garden of Life Grass-Fed Whey)
- 2 Tbs. monk fruit or erythritol (optional)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray or coat an 8×8-inch glass baking dish with vegetable or coconut oil.
- In medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk in chia seeds and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine oats, whey protein powder, sweetener (if using), baking powder, and salt. Stir wet ingredients into dry, mixing until well combined. Stir in cherries and pistachios.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish, and bake 20 minutes, or until firm and golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Cut into 12 bars, and serve.
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 40 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 180 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g