For more about this recipe: Heart, Soul, & Cereal: the Passion behind The Soulfull Project
1/3 cup all-purpose organic flour
1/3 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
5 tablespoons organic unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
5 cups ripe pears, peeled, cored, & sliced (preferably Taylor Gold or Anjou)
3/4 cup fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon fresh Meyer lemon juice + 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup Baker’s superfine sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To make topping: In a medium bowl, combine Grains mix, flour, brown sugar, Five Spice, and butter. Mix well with your hands, rubbing butter pieces between your fingers.
- In a large bowl, combine pears and cranberries with lemon juice + almond extract. Sprinkle with cornstarch and sugar, toss lightly to coat.
- Transfer pear-cranberry mix to a lightly-buttered 8x8 glass baking dish; spread topping mix evenly over it. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet (to catch any drips) and bake for 40-45 minutes, until fruit is bubbling, and top is golden. If it browns too soon, cover with foil for remaining cooking time.
- Serve warm, with vanilla frozen yogurt if desired. Or go wild for the holidays, and serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Sugar Content: 21 g