- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 large shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 large Japanese sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 21/2 cups), or regular sweet potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15 oz. can coconut milk
- 2 Tbs. red curry paste, or to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled toasted nori
- Sesame oil for frying croutons
Rinse rice in colander until water runs clear, not milky. Combine rice with 1½ cups water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat, and let cool.
While rice is cooling, combine shallots, garlic, sweet potatoes, and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft. Stir in coconut milk and red curry paste, and cook 2 minutes longer. Transfer to blender or food processor, and purée until very smooth. Return to pan to keep warm.
While soup is cooking, stir nori or other seaweed into rice. Form rice into 1-inch balls and flatten slightly. Heat sesame oil in large, heavy skillet. Fry croutons 4–5 minutes per side, until golden.
To serve, divide soup among individual serving bowls. Top each with croutons, and serve immediately.
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 410 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g