View more Fantastic Fermented Foods Recipes
- 4 cups (8 servings)Servings
- 1 large head green cabbage (about 5 lbs.), cored and shredded
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 2 large fennel bulbs, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. dried juniper berries
- Combine cabbage and salt in a large bowl. Let stand 15 minutes to allow cabbage to soften. Using wooden mallet or meat tenderizer, pound cabbage until juices are released (alternatively, squeeze and massage vigorously with your hands).
- Add fennel and juniper, and stir to mix well. Pack into quart jar or crock. Juices released from cabbage should completely cover vegetables. If they don’t, add water to cover and pack down.
- Cover jar or crock with lid, and let stand at room temperature, away from sunlight, 4–7 days. After 4 days, taste every day or so. When sauerkraut has reached desired level of fermentation, refrigerate. Sauerkraut can ferment for 3 weeks to allow flavors to fully develop.
- Serving Size: 1-cup
- Calories: 90
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 950 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g