Italian meets Mexican in this traditional Mediterranean condiment of citrus zest and garlic, with the added zing of south-of-the border jalapeños. Soften the heat with a sweet mango pico de gallo and let guests fill soft, warm tortillas with the grilled trout, mango salsa, and cabbage.
Short on time? Buy prepared Pico de Gallo and add one finely diced mango and a couple tablespoons of diced cucumber.
How hot is hot?
Don’t have a thermometer on your grill? No worries, your bare hand is a good gauge for temperature (adults only, please). This works for gas or charcoal grills. Hold your hand a few inches above the grate and time how long you can safely keep your hand there:
Less than a second
Very hot (be careful)
600°F or more
Hot (still be careful)
- 1 bunch green onions, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup each cilantro, parsley, basil, finely chopped
- 4 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
Mango Pico de Gallo
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 jalapeño, minced (or use half for a milder salsa)
- ½ red pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 Tbs. cucumber, finely diced
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 trout filets with skin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 Corn tortillas
- ¼ cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 limes, quartered
- Prepared guacamole, optional
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt, optional
- Stir gremolata ingredients together and set aside until ready to grill fish. Mix pico de gallo ingredients together in serving bowl.
- Oil grill pan to prevent fish from sticking. Preheat grill to 400°F with grill pan on grates. Place trout on the preheated pan skin side down, spoon gremolata down middle of each filet.
- Lower heat to 350°F, and close lid. Cook 10 minutes, until fish is flakey and heated through.
- Serve each filet on individual plate and pass around tortillas, mango pico de gallo, and taco fixings to let guest make their own tacos.
- Calories: 490
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Cholesterol Content: 95 mg
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 38 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 85 mg
- Sugar Content: 19 g