Lime Gremolata Trout Tacos with Mango Pico de Gallo
Italian meets Mexican in this traditional Mediterranean condiment of citrus zest and garlic, with the added zing of south-of-the-border jalapeños.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These gluten-free trout tacos soften the heat with a sweet mango pico de gallo. Short on time? Buy prepared Pico de Gallo and add one finely diced mango and a couple tablespoons of diced cucumber.
Don’t have a thermometer on your grill? No worries, your bare hand is a good gauge for temperature (adults only, please). This works for gas or charcoal grills. Hold your hand a few inches above the grate and time how long you can safely keep your hand there.
- 1 bunch green onions, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup each cilantro, parsley, basil, finely chopped
- 4 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
Mango pico de gallo
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 jalapeño, minced (or use half for a milder salsa)
- ½ red pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 Tbs. cucumber, finely diced
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 trout filets with skin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 Corn tortillas
- ¼ cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 limes, quartered
- Prepared guacamole, optional
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt, optional
- Stir gremolata ingredients together and set aside until ready to grill fish. Mix pico de gallo ingredients together in serving bowl.
- Oil grill pan to prevent fish from sticking. Preheat grill to 400°F with grill pan on grates. Place trout on the preheated pan skin side down, spoon gremolata down middle of each filet.
- Lower heat to 350°F, and close lid. Cook 10 minutes, until fish is flakey and heated through.
- Serve each filet on individual plate and pass around tortillas, mango pico de gallo, and taco fixings to let guest make their own tacos.
- Calories 490
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 95 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 38 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 85 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g