Muffin tins make the ideal container for a pizza-flavored mac and cheese. Pasta is packed with protein already, but when you add in cottage cheese, mozzarella, and eggs, you’ve got a protein-rich lunch that will get your kids through the afternoon.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1½ cups small macaroni (any kind will do, wheat, lentil, rice, or bean)
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups grated mozzarella, divided
- 1½ cups cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- Hefty pinch of salt and pepper
- 16 pepperoni or salami rounds
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain, place in a bowl, and stir in marinara sauce. Let cool 10 minutes.
2. Stir in 1½ cup grated mozzarella. Blend cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in blender or food processor until smooth Line cups of two 8-cup muffin pans with two paper liners each. Place pepperoni or salami in the bottom of each liner. Fill cups half full of macaroni mixture. Carefully pour cottage cheese and eggs over macaroni to fill in gaps. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
3. Bake 20 minutes, until egg is set and tops are puffed and golden brown. Mini pizzas will keep in refrigerator up to 5 days.
- Calories 140
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 320 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g