- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded, and minced, optional
- 2 large carrots, finely diced, optional
- 2 large celery sticks, finely diced, optional
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes (or 5–6 large ripe tomatoes, diced)
1. Heat large frying pan over medium heat, and pour olive oil to coat bottom of pan. Sauté onions until translucent and soft; avoid browning.
2. Add green bell pepper, carrots, and celery, if using, and cook until softened.
3. Add minced garlic, and sauté one minute more. Add diced tomatoes and mix well. Simmer over very low heat 20–40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a thick sauce is achieved.
4. Allow to cool, then store in the refrigerator.
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 65 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g