Moroccan Chicken Salad Sandwich
Salty olives, sweet grapes, and fresh herbs give ordinary chicken salad a tantalizing twist. Harissa paste gives it a Moroccan flair, but if you can’t find it, you can use a pinch of curry powder or skip it entirely.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Chicken is low in calories and rich in protein, a macronutrient essential for repairing tissues and building muscle mass. Darker cuts like drumsticks and thighs are higher in iron, which keeps anemia at bay, and zinc, necessary for optimal immune function. This chicken salad recipe makes use of a whole chicken, so no cut of meat is overlooked.
- 1/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil mayonnaise (TRY: Primal Kitchen Mayo with Avocado Oil)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp harrissa paste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded (or about 4 cups any variety of leftover cooked and shredded chicken)
- 1 small bulb fennel, cored, chopped
- 1/3 cup halved red grapes
- 3 tbsp chopped pitted green olives
- 4 toasted whole-grain buns, for serving
- 8 leaves Boston lettuce, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice, parsley, harissa, pepper and salt. Stir in shredded chicken, fennel, grapes and olives.
- Divide mixture among buns and top with lettuce.
More recipes to try:
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 584
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 112 mg
- Fat Content 27 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 45 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 667 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 11 g