Moroccan Pumpkin and Lentils
This hearty North African stew will ward off the first chill of fall with its colorful ingredients and warm, spicy flavors.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (11⁄2 cups)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, or 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 2-lb. pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup tomato purée
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeño, and sauté 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent and golden. Add tomatoes, lentils, and spices, and cook 2–3 minutes more. Stir in pumpkin, tomato purée, and 21⁄2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 40 minutes, or until pumpkin and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro, and serve hot.
- Calories 161
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 287 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g