For more about this recipe: DIY Wine Mulling Kit: Original Gift Giving Idea
- Makes 3 KitsServings
For Mulling Syrup:
3 cups filtered water
2 cups apple cider
2 organic navel oranges, quartered
1 cup organic sugar (or Lakanto for lower-sugar version)
1½-inch square chunk peeled fresh ginger root, chopped
3 3-inch cinnamon sticks
12 whole cloves
10 whole black peppercorns
8 whole allspice berries
4 whole cardamom pods, slightly crushed
1 tsp. nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)
For Wine Mulling Kits:
3 12-oz. glass bottles or jars, sterilized
3 750-ml bottles red wine
3 miniature boxes organic raisins, optional
3 small organic apples or navel oranges
- Combine water and cider in large saucepan or soup pot. Squeeze juice from orange wedges into liquids, and drop them in. Add remaining ingredients through nutmeg, and stir gently to combine.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium- high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir, and simmer, partially covered, 15–20 minutes until syrup thickens slightly. Remove from heat, cover partially, and cool for 15 minutes.
- Strain syrup through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing on fruit to squeeze out liquids. Discard solids, pour 1½ cups mulling syrup into each bottle, and seal tightly. Refrigerate jars until ready to gift.
- To create mulling kits, arrange 1 bottle mulling syrup, 1 bottle wine, 1 orange or apple, and 1 miniature box raisins in gift basket or box. Include the following instructions: Slice the orange (or core and slice the apple) and combine the slices with the wine, mulling syrup, and 2 Tbs. raisins in large pot. Stir gently to combine, and warm over medium-low heat until hot. Serve immediately. Store mulling syrup in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- Calories: 180
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 10 mg
- Sugar Content: 18 g