Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can prepare this Mulligatawny Stew in a slow cooker. In a large skillet or sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and apple. Cook 6 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
While the veggies are softening, whisk together the chicken stock, tomato paste, curry powder, cumin, salt, cayenne, and black pepper in the bowl of a slow cooker. Add the sautéed veggies to the broth and top with the lamb.
Cook for about 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high, until veggies and lamb are tender. At the end of the cook time, add the chickpeas to a food processor or blender and process until nearly smooth, adding a tablespoon or two of broth, if necessary. Add to soup and stir in well to incorporate. Cook for 20 minutes and serve.
Mash-Up Mulligatawny Stew
- Select Instant Pot Sauté button, and add oil, onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and apple. Cook, stirring often, until onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, curry powder, cumin, salt, cayenne, and black pepper, and cook about 30 seconds, stirring continuously. Add chicken broth and gently whisk in the tomato paste. Add potatoes and lamb, and cancel sauté setting.
- Add chickpeas to food processor or blender, and process until nearly smooth, adding a tablespoon or two of broth, if necessary. Add to soup, and stir to incorporate.
- Choose Meat/Stew function on Instant Pot, and set timer for 40 minutes. When cook cycle has finished, hit cancel button and vent steam manually until pressure valve drops before removing lid.
- Calories 440
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 55 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 780 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g