This flour-free gravy uses xanthan gum for a thick, creamy texture; you’ll find it in the baking aisle of most natural grocery stores. For an earthier flavor, use dried or fresh porcinis, shiitakes, morels, or other wild mushrooms for all or part of the crimini mushrooms.
For more about this recipe: Keto Thanksgiving
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups diced crimini or portobello mushrooms
2 shallots, diced (about 1/4 cup)
1 1/2 cups chicken or beef stock
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. xanthan gum
- Melt butter in medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock and whipping cream. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until mixture is thickened. Sprinkle xanthan gum over top, and whisk well. Simmer 8–10 minutes more, until mixture is thick and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 3 g
- Cholesterol Content: 45 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 190 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g