As the weather starts to get steamy — and you're already roasting — there's no point in heating up the house with a blazing oven or standing over a fiery grill. Instead, keep your cool all summer long with these fresh, intriguing, full-meal salads. Deli meats, leftovers, canned beans, and pregrilled vegetables add protein, nutrients, and fiber without raising the temperature. And they're hearty enough to satisfy even the healthiest appetites.
Five Really Good Reasons To Eat Salads
- They're high in nutrients. Fresh vegetables are loaded with antioxidants and phytochemicals that help prevent disease.
- They're packed with fiber. A cup of beans has 12-16 grams of fiber. Compare that to a slice of whole-wheat bread, with a paltry 2 grams.
- They're mostly raw. Cooking food destroys enzymes, and damages many vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
- They're quick to make. Leaving more time for playing in the sun, or under the summer stars.
- They're light. You're showing more skin now. Enough said.