This creamy oatmeal tastes like everyone’s favorite schoolyard sandwich, albeit one with more lofty protein levels. Soaking hearty steel-cut oats overnight slashes their cooking time to make this breakfast more conducive to harried mornings. Whole nuts and coconut chips are a great way to add a satisfying crunch.
For more about this recipe: Cooking with Protein Powder
1½ cups fresh or frozen (thawed) strawberries
1 Tbs. honey
2 Tbs. chia seeds
1 cup steel-cut oatmeal
1/3 cup milk or unsweetened dairy-free milk
½ cup plain or vanilla protein powder
¼ cup natural peanut butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup unsalted roasted peanuts (optional)
¼ cup coconut chips (optional)
- Blend together strawberries, honey, and 2 Tbs. water. Place strawberry purée in container or bowl and stir in chia seeds. Set aside at least 1 hour to thicken.
- Place oats, a pinch of salt, and 3 cups water in medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a mild boil, immediately turn off heat, cover, and let oats soak overnight.
- In the morning, stir milk, protein powder, peanut butter, and cinnamon into oats, and cook over medium-low heat, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide oats among serving bowls and swirl in strawberry-chia jam. Garnish with peanuts and/or coconut chips if desired
- Serving Size: Per serving (with whey protein powder):
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.5 g
- Sodium Content: 115 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g