Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This creamy oatmeal tastes like everyone’s favorite schoolyard sandwich, albeit one with more lofty protein levels. Soaking hearty steel-cut oats overnight slashes their cooking time to make this breakfast more conducive to harried mornings. Whole nuts and coconut chips are a great way to add a satisfying crunch.
For more about this recipe: Cooking with Protein Powder
- Blend together strawberries, honey, and 2 Tbs. water. Place strawberry purée in container or bowl and stir in chia seeds. Set aside at least 1 hour to thicken.
- Place oats, a pinch of salt, and 3 cups water in medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a mild boil, immediately turn off heat, cover, and let oats soak overnight.
- In the morning, stir milk, protein powder, peanut butter, and cinnamon into oats, and cook over medium-low heat, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide oats among serving bowls and swirl in strawberry-chia jam. Garnish with peanuts and/or coconut chips if desired
- Serving Size Per serving (with whey protein powder):
- Calories 390
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 115 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g