Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Best Sugar Alternatives
Erythritol, monkfruit, stevia, inulin, and allulose work best in these recipes. When the recipe calls for confectioners’ sweetener, try using your blender to pulverize the no-calorie granulated sweeteners into a fine powder.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment.
- Stir almond flour and pecan meal together, add maple sugar, baking powder, salt, ¼ cup butter, egg, vanilla or almond extract, orange zest, cinnamon, and chopped pecans.
- Turn dough out onto the baking sheet. Form into a ²/³-inch x 14-inch log with slightly rounded sides.
- Bake 12 minutes. Turn pan, and bake 12–14 minutes more, until light touch doesn’t indent dough.
- Remove from oven and let sit 30 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 250°F.
- After dough has cooled, slice into 18 slices, and place cut-side down onto baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes and turn over carefully. Turn off oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container to keep cookies crisp.
- Calories 80
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 60 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g