Super Greens, Beets & Quinoa Salad with Hemp Seeds
Super greens are for more than smoothies. Make a nourishing super green salad—this one is studded with beets, pistachios, blueberries, red quinoa, and nutty hemp seeds.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Recipe from our sister publication, Cuisine at Home.
1 lb. golden beets, trimmed (about 2 large)
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 Tbs. honey
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 pkg. super greens mix or baby kale (5 oz.), such as Organic Girl
2 cups cooked red quinoa
1 pint fresh blueberries
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and bias-sliced
1/2 cup torn fresh basil
1/2 cup roughly chopped roasted and shelled pistachios
- 3 Tbs. hemp hearts (such as Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts)
2/3 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. culinary-grade matcha
1 tsp. grated fresh garlic
1 tsp. honey
Salt and black pepper to taste
- To make beets: Preheat oven to 400°F. Drizzle beets with oil, then wrap each in foil, and roast until fork-tender, about 45 minutes. Let beets cool slightly, then remove foil and rub off skins. Cut beets into 1/4-inch pieces. Whisk together vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper. Stir in beets, cover, and chill at least 1 hour.
- To make salad: Toss together greens, quinoa, blueberries, scallions, basil, pistachios, and hemp hearts. Drain beets, and add to salad.
- To make dressing: Whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, oil, matcha, garlic, and honey; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad
- Calories 550
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 29 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 390 mg
- Sugar Content 26 g