Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Don’t be put off by the title—this fiber-rich recipe tastes more like a bran muffin than a bread. It comes from a 1985 issue of Better Nutrition. Honey and applesauce give it just the right hint of sweetness. Try it warmed with butter and honey or jam on top.
For more about this recipe: Better Nutrition in the 1980s, part 2
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift flour with baking powder. Combine honey, egg, milk, and applesauce, and add to flour mixture. Add vegetable oil, mixing to dampen flour. Fold in prunes and bran.
- Spread dough in greased 8×4-inch loaf pan. Bake about 60 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out dry. Cool in pan 10 minutes, remove from pan, and cool thoroughly before wrapping in wax paper.
- Calories 140
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 4.5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 85 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g