This Pumpkin-Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Goes a Step Beyond Your Typical Pumpkin Pie
Celebrate National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day with this decadent pairing of pumpkin and chocolate that will leave your guests begging for more.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
When choosing fresh pumpkins for baking, it’s difficult to tell from the hard outer shell how it will be on the inside, so it’s best to choose by weight. Pick a blemish-free pumpkin that feels heavy in hand. This is also true for choosing any type of winter squash, including acorn, butternut, and delicata.
Pumpkin-Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake recipe
- 11/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 11/2-lb. sugar pumpkin, halved and seeded (or 1 15-oz. can of pumpkin)
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 8-oz. pkg. Neufchâtel cheese, softened
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 11/2 Tbs. ground ginger
- 11/2 Tbs. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Place pumpkin halves cut side down on baking sheet. Bake 45 to 55 minutes. Cool, scoop flesh from shell and mash. You should have 11/2 cups mashed pumpkin.
- To make crust: Coat 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter in medium bowl. Press into prepared pan, and bake 10 minutes at 350˚F.
- To make cheesecake: Melt chocolate in bowl in microwave on medium power, stirring every 30 seconds to heat evenly. Set aside. Blend cottage cheese in food processor 3 minutes, until smooth. Add Neufchâtel cheese, brown sugar, eggs, and flour, and process until smooth. Add pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg, and process 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Whisk 1 cup cream cheese batter into melted chocolate. Pour remaining batter into crust. Drop dollops of chocolate mixture onto batter, and swirl with knife.
- Bake cheesecake 11/2 hours, or until top is firm and cake begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely on wire rack, then chill well before unmolding and serving.
- Calories 218
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 15 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 353 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g