If your ginger root is older or stringy, grate a 2-inch chunk, gather the gratings, and squeeze them hard with your hand over the blender to extract the juice. Discard the stringy pulp.
For more about this recipe: Secret Ingredient Smoothie.
- 8 oz. chilled unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ½ cup cooked pumpkin (unsweetened canned or fresh puree)
- ½ large cored sweet apple, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup cooked cannellini beans (if canned, drain and rinse)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, optional
- 2 tsp. coconut oil or MCT oil, or 1 Tbs. avocado, optional
- 1 inch fresh turmeric root (or ¾ tsp. ground turmeric)
- ½–1 inch peeled fresh ginger root (or ¾ tsp. ground ginger)
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2–3 grinds fresh black pepper
- Few drops vanilla stevia or 1–2 soft, fresh pitted dates, to taste for added sweetness
Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender, and blend until very smooth. Serve at room temperature, or slightly warmed over low heat.
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 320 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g